Saturday 1 September 2018

Celebrating September



I love September. I'm not sure why; maybe it's because this is the month of my birth. I was named after a flower that blossoms this time of year in India, the night-blooming jasmine known as 'Shiuli'.  

Round about now I start to look back at what I've achieved over the year, and look forward to what I still need or want to do. It's also the time of year when I've made some life-changing decisions. It's the month I moved to Qatar to launch Aljazeera back in 2006. It's also the month I handed in my notice nine years later. It's the month I met my husband-to-be in London 21 years ago, though neither of us knew then where it would lead. It was another four months before he managed to ask me out on a date.

September is the month when the first book was published on a printing press in 1452. No prizes for guessing what it was. (The Bible).

Some of my favourite authors were born in September; Roald Dahl, Stephen King, H.G. Wells. And it's also the month, three years ago, when I finished the first draft of my debut Young Adult novel, Daughter of Kali: Awakening.

Needless to say, the first draft wasn't the last by a long shot! It needed a lot of polishing. But it's now coming up to the four-month anniversary of its publication date by the wonderful Peach Publishing.



To celebrate, we've launched a September Giveaway on Goodreads. Free kindle copies are available to 100 US readers who enter my giveaway here at www.goodreads.com between now and September 30th.

To make up for the fact that UK readers can't currently enter the Goodreads Giveaway, I have a special offer just for them. I have two paperback copies which I will sign and post to you anywhere in the UK. To enter, go to my website www.shiulieghosh.com and send me your email address through my 'contacts' form. I will pick two names at random. Closing date September 30th.

Good luck. Good reading. And have a good September.


No comments:

Post a Comment